Tuesday, September 1, 2009

five minutes and thirty four seconds with Chad Saunders & the giant ear of CJSW

Yesterday, I stopped by CJSW 90.9 for a couple hours. CJSW is Calgary's campus and community radio station at the University of Calgary in Alberta. The station is in the basement of the student center, lots of stickers, friendly folks, a giant ear:


Here's Myke, the music director in the on air studio. I chilled with him during his show, The Banshee Beat, and we chatted about the differences between radio in the U.S. and Canada. I got schooled when I didn't even recognize half of the nyc based bands Myke played on his show.


Chad, station general manager, enjoys imitating his donkey calendar in his spare time.


Five minutes and thirty four seconds with Chad Saunders. He explains how community radio can provide poignant social commentary by playing The Talking Heads:


'

Once he heard I was going up to Nunavut, Chad gave me an awesome CJSW adornred green & black tuque (here for the American definition) to keep my ears warm in the cold cold cold weather. I've been wearing it and I look like a beast.

More blogggy blog posts to come.
Aliza

No comments:

Post a Comment